From the Desk of BeeTrue:

"Make reflection a part of your daily activity. It is in doing that you will find the catalyst for evolution."-BeeTrue

Friday, October 30, 2009

Creating That Bridge

I've been thinking alot lately. Today I was thinking about a story someone related on Facebook the other day, that made me really upset. A brother was commenting about Pink Hijab Day, he said he was in a conversation with a few sisters who were saying that participating in it was un-islamic. This to me, is disturbing for more reasons than one. Let me explain... First, I want to start by saying Islam has already been perfected by Allah, so there is no reason to add to it, nor subtract anything from it. I don't understand why some of us muslims (and I include myself in order to remain humble), act so exclusively. In my understanding of the deen, Islam teaches unity, respect for all, as well as supports the involvement and participation in our respective communites. October 28th, Pink Hijab Day, to me was a way for us to give dawah, help a good cause, and begin to bridge the gap between Mislims and non-Muslims.We are suppose to be teaching others about Islam by being exemplary citizens of our country. How can we do that if we are displaying behaviors similar to extremists. Islam is about moderation in everything you do. You should neither be too extreme, nor too relaxed about the way you practice it's laws. Is it just me, or does it seem too extreme to say that Pink Hijab day is un-islamic, and Muslim ladies should not also bring awareness about, and for this cause?I'd like to mention that my intentions for writing this blog, were not to call anyone out, nor to say anything negative about my Muslim sisters. But, to inspire one to contemplate on why we do things, and what effect it can have on others. Are Muslims not a part of the population which suffer from cancer?<---just rhetoric. Of course we are. I am afflicted by Asthma, so should I not join a support group for those suffering from this condition? I think, in creating unity, we Muslims have GOT to be more accepting of everyone else.How can we say on one hand, that we are not accepted by non-Muslims, yet on the other, act in an exclusive manner towards them. If I can be the voice for a good cause, add diversity to a group, or support someone who is suffering, that I will be and do. The only reason I may not do so, is if I am asked to defy or dishonor my religion, or take off my hijab. THEN we may have a problem! But until then, I wish to play a big role in society. Please Muslim ladies and men, can we work towards unity for the sake of Allah. But, as individuals we must encourage others to do the same. If we are not on the same page, how can we get anyone on our side?Practice what you preach, and learn before you teach. Yeah I just made the second part up, cute huh? LoL! Seriously, to conclude "love conquers all," try to conquer it within you, so that you can spread it wherever you go InshaAllah. And if you have love in your heart for Allah, then it too will reside therein for all of creation.I am working on myself each day, He is not done with me yet.

1 comment:

  1. Salaams Sis

    I appreciated reading your views and as I mentioned I would be stopping by to pay your blog a visit alhamdulillah.

    Personally I believe that there are some of us who will intentionally go out of our way(s) to find ANY fault possible rather then to support and to encourage and it is a sad state of affairs because if we can't be and look uniformed as a ummah, what is to be said about the Dunya viewing us?

    ReplyDelete